Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

I have an 03 Chevy Avalanche 1500I can drive it but when it

Customer Question

I have an 03 Chevy Avalanche 1500*****I can drive it but when it warms up it goes in neutral wont go forward or reverse unless I unhook the battery and hook it back up and then it will go in gear for a few miles I noticed when it starts to warm up you can hear a pump in the transmission it has a lot of miles on body not sure of transmission the transmission is very clean no leaks at all
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

are there any codes being set in the computer ?

has the filter ever been changed under the transmission pan ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a carmd just reads error so then i go rent one from auto zone for $149 i got my money back but it didnt read any codes either i pulled the pan the fluid is a little dark doesn't smell burnt and there's some small pieces of metal in the pan not sure if tranny is original looks to clean for 200,000 miles but ran pefect i was hoping to fix if for fairly cheap but might as well replace it
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

the cheapest way out is to replace it with a used salvage yard transmission v/s the cost of rebuilding this one

the odds are the forward sprag has failed and it will need a full rebuild

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out ?