Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

2006 Kia Spectra5. Automatic transmission. When you shift

Customer Question

2006 Kia Spectra5. Automatic transmission. When you shift the transmission from park into Drive, it won't go in to drive. Here is the weird part. If the parking brake is on at least one click (I am assuming this has something to do with the parking brake light being engaged) or if the headlights are turned on, the car will shift into drive no problems. Clearly it is an electrical problems of sorts.
So again, the car will not shift into Drive unless the parking brake in engaged at least one click or the headlights are turned on.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you have brake lights? And when you step on the brake pedal and the vehicle is in park do you hear a click at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, brake lights work. When I step on the brake pedal with the car in Park, I don’t really hear a click. This is with the ignition on

Alright, I'm going to recommend you replace the brake switch. It its on top of the brake pedal bracket. There are a few different circuits in it, one for cruise control, one for the lights, and one for the park release switch. Kia has big problems with the brake switches going bad. I have attached a picture of the switch location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to clarify that I can actually shift the shifter from park into drive, the transmission just doesn't engage unless the headlights are turned on or the parking brake is pulled up one click, then the transmission will engage into drive. So the park release must be working if I can shift it into drive. The tranny just won't engage unless those two conditions are present.
Oh ok, let me do some research and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you happen to find any info?

Sorry for the delay. There are no common issues that I could find. These systems are totally unrelated so I'm not sure how this could be happening. Check all fuses in the interior fuse box as well as the engine room fuse box that are labeled ECU. If all of those are good, I'm going to recommend you replace the transaxle range switch. It is located on top of the transmission. Aside from this, the only option I see is a bad PCM because none of these systems are related and they all seem to be working fine separately. I have attached the procedure on how to replace the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already changed the switch. Didn't fix the problem. Is it the PCM or is there a separate control unit for the transmission?

I'm gonna open this up to other experts to try to help you.