Scott W
Scott W, Technician
Experience:  I am trained Ford transmission tech, and have 28 years in the field.
26022388

My f250 automatic transmission 4r100 will not engage in

Customer Question

my f250 automatic transmission 4r100 will not engage in drive after few minutes in idle
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** was the fluid? Was it burnt? Did it have any metal? Does it engage ok cold?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fluid good. No metal parts, no damage signs. It engage ok in cold.
It will work OK all the time, just take a few minutes in running in parking and then will not engage in drive, only in first gear.
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Ok the first thing I would check is underneath the valve body there are some oil feed bolts, if one of these bolts loosens, the hydraulics will leak and not engage forward gears.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just replaced the valve body last week
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

This is under the valve body, the 3 bolts that hold the center support in the case under the valve body.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, I will check, this only happens if you have the truck running in parking for a few minutes, but you put it in first gear go for a about 100 ft and then put in drive and everything runs fine
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Ok, I see, you may have some internal problems, anyway I would still check those bolts, then air pressure test the clutch some air leakage is normal, but it shouldn't leak like there is nothing in there, if it does, it times to get the trans rebuilt.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK how I do the pressure test?
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Here is air pressure testing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your business!!

Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

When you are finished please take the time to rate my service as this is how we are paid, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK I will
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Thanks