sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

1988 bronco II...shifter wont move out of 3rd gear. Took the

Customer Question

1988 bronco II...shifter wont move out of 3rd gear. Took the shifter off,plastic ball is present and ok. The cup it rides in looks fine. The shaft the cup is attached to wont move. I used a wooden dowel to try n coax it,no dice
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. Truck is worth far less than a mechanics bill will warrant
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: read previous msg
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming that you have a manual transmission based on your description.

If a manual trans shifter is stuck it either has to be something external blocking movement or an internal failure in the transmission. Something external isn't likely, and since you've had the boot off and gone into the top of the trans slightly, that obviously isn't your case.

If no problems were found in the shift tower area then the problem is deeper in the trans and it will require the trans to be removed and disassembled for inspection, or you could also opt to just replace the trans. The problem may be with the internal shift linkage but it may also be geartrain failure. I've seen cases of geartrain failure where there was catastrophic damage enough to prevent the shift rails from moving. This is sometimes the result of running it low on fluid. If you heard abnormal noise before the shifter quit moving or the fluid was allowed to run low then geartrain damage is likely.