ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech

Transmission shifts hard into 2nd gear when cold and smooths

Customer Question

Transmission shifts hard into 2nd gear when cold and smooths out as tranny/Engine warm up. My son is looking at buying a 2010 Hyundai Elantra GL with a Automatic 4 speed transmission and a 2.0 L DOHC. The vehicle has 122,736kms and other than the transmission issue seems like a good unit.
We test drove the car at a temperature of approx. 1 degree Celcius and leaving the dealership with the dealer rep in the car, the initial shift was fairly hard, stopped for a light, started driving and the intial shift was slightly less hard, however the dealer rep noticed it. As mentioned above the shifting smoothed out as the unit warmed up.
Dealer is a smaller garage that bought the car from a major car dealer. The car was a trade in and the major dealer identified tranny issues. The smaller dealer inspected the tranny, the fluid looks brand new, suspect the major dealer did a tranny flush, did not resolve the issues and sold the car. The smaller dealer hooked the tranny up to the diagnostic machine, identified codes, reprogrammed tranny, test drove and no new codes appeared.
After the test drive left the car at the dealer and they took it out the next day and the sales rep called me to say they agreed with our comments about the tranny that it shifts hard when it is cold and as it warms up it smooths out. I asked if they were going to explore the tranny further and they advised they do not think there are any issue and if I am converned there is a Lubrico Warranty with the car
I can buy Lubrico warranty for 3 yrs/36,000km warranty which covers the tranny, however, my son because we live outside the City will have the 36K on the car within 1 to 2 years
My son really likes the car and the price is realistic. $6804 with 1 year Lubrico warranty Retail price $1100 (I can increase the warranty to 3 yr/36K for an additional $600) and 10 oil changes included
Please provide comments whether this is normal shifting for a 2010 Hyundai Elantra or if the trannny and/or other known concerns with the 2010 should make us walk away from this car
car can be seen at:
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 7 months ago.

Ok, ask the dealer to check the transmission control module to see if it has had the latest adaptive strategy software installed. If not, then this is needed.

If it has been done, then there is an internal fault in the band and clutches and Hyundai states to replace the transmission. In this case, walk away from the purchase.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  ebrock63 replied 7 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.