Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

Nissan Rl4Ro1A just rebuild and getting no shift to 2nd

Customer Question

Nissan Rl4Ro1A just rebuild and getting no shift to 2nd gear.Noticed tv cable moves to maximum throttle as soon as the engine is started
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Initially, 2nd gear took about 4-5min of driving before engaging. now it does not engage at all and on occasions with enough speed in 1st gear it appears to neutralise until a bit slower when it reengages 1st . Reverse is ok.I pressure tested the servo,redid the govenor and the fluid distributor seals (worked ok for about 30 mins and then started moving of in 2nd, only going to 1st if engine is switched off and re started). I am a dit concerned about the throttle/kickdown cable that moves to the maximum pull position as soon as the vehicle is started.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Double check and make sure the transmission/gear box and its components are all installed and connected properly.If there is an issue with any install or connection this can cause this type of fault here in some cases.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Pete,
I am usually very thorough. I used the manual from ATSG while rebuilding (from the Valve Body, clutches, governor, pump etc)
I am fairly convinced that assembly is in order. I took down this tranny three times and on each occasion after installation the tranny appears to work faily good for about 20 mins after which the problem of no 2nd gear reappears.
If I can get a lead to address the symptom of the throttle cable moving to the maximum pull throttle position as soon as the vehicle is started I may see some light .I am thinking of internal valve body leak. I am not sure if using gaskets on the valve body would help with internal leaks or if leaks at the governor end would cause this symptom. Please advise.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately my info is limited on this model here on testing and diagrams.If you want I can open your question for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete