Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

It shifts fine in 2 wheel drive..but in 4 wheel drive (goes

Customer Question

It shifts fine in*****.but in***** (goes into 4 wd no problem)...- high.. the transmission will not shift up to the higher ratios while out on the road...Always did ???
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The truck shift as it should in*****.. In*****-- it goes in problem in 1st ...goes as it should...but out on the road -- the transmission will not shift up as it should -- stays down in 1st and second speeds... ???
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Possible -- if simple..
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No....only has about 16,000 on it....
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What can fail here that I have seen several times before is the transfer case shift actuator.It has an internal sensor that fails.This sensor sends a signal to the computer to let it know what the transfer case has been shifted into.Even though it has been shifted into 4wd high the sensor is most likely sending a false signal telling the computer it is in 4 low when it actually isnt.This causes the computer to keep the transmission from upshifting past 2nd gear like this.

I would have the fault codes checked with a scan tool that can plug into your model and read all computers in your model.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.Some cheaper scan tools will not be able to read all computers so a scan tool that can do this will be needed.I suspect the actuator itself needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete