Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a MT653 hooked up to a 3208 NA cat pulling about

Customer Question

I have a MT653 hooked up to a 3208 NA cat pulling about 26000 lbs. Just serviced the trans. Changed oil and filter replaced with Napa ATF (equal to dextron 3 of mercon). Went from Fremont to Bakersfield (about 250 miles). Trans started slipping. pulled over for 35 minutes. Drove another 15 miles thru hills with no problem. Drove home same thing happened at about 230 miles. Stopped for about 35 minutes again, drove rest of the way home (about 45 miles) no problems. Oil is not burnt and wasn't hot. Any ideas? Truck did sit for about 5 years with no use.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check inside the filter and pan for signs of friction material or fine metal. Sometimes it will look like anti-seize in the oil. If found you have internal problems. There are pressure ports to test pressures as well if the oil and filters show no signs of a mechanical failure

The seals sitting are the worse thing for an automatic transmission as they dry out and become brittle and the new oil has detergents to help clean sludge etc so if there were any troubles in the transmission and the sludge was helping an o ring seal, the new oil likely cleaned that away.

Click below for some testing and troubleshooting

Troubleshooting and adjusting