Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Truck won't shift. No speedometer no line under PRND

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jordan, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. With someone under the truck move the shifter with the brake on for safety to see if the shift lever is moving on the transmission. If not take a close look at the linkage and shift cable that it is either broken or became disconnected. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck drives. But o. Take off is very laggy. I have park reverse and a drive gear. Doesn't shift while driving just revs way high and does maybe 30mph.

Thanks for the update, Check for burnt and discolored oil indicating internal problems. Also check the filter and bottom of the transmission pan for metal.friction material and debris.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Filter and fluid changed. This all started after having the ecm & tcm flashed and reprogrammed. Any possibility of a bad Neutral Position Sensor.

If this was present only immediately after the reflash then the problem is very likely related to the software issues unless there is a harness or module problem. Are there any fault codes or communication troubles with the modules?

Possibility of a faulty speed sensor since you are having speedo problems and this is related to the proper shift points etc. TCM and ECM read speed signal

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine and service brake system and abs light came on. No previous problems prior to flash and reprogram. The dealership said the ecm was fried so they couldn't reprogram but said everything was fine. They are not much help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the paper they gave me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that common with getting the ecm flashed.

Thanks for the update. That is actually the procedure that will uncover an ECM that has internal hardware problems if it will not take a successful reflash. The ECM and TCM need to communicate, Did you replace the ECM yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet.

Sounds like the ECM due to an incomplete reflash is not communicating all the Data between the TCM and is what is causing your problems unfortunately

The two modules need to pass information between each other for engine speed, road speed, gear position, etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll let you know when I replace that.

Can you get ahold of a test ECM from a salvage yard?