Randall
Randall, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs, Auto trans diagnostic and repair
13677702

Where is the filter on the new suabru CVT transmissions?

Customer Question

Where is the filter on the new suabru CVT transmissions? internal? and is it changeable if I drop the pan?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I am going to change the fluid and want to know if there is an easily accessible filter that I can change with it.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. I am trying to get everything I need in advance from Subaru, I will have the fluid and the pan gasket but is the filter changeable??
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Can you send the year and the model? thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2012 subaru outback
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

The fluid filter is a non serviceable part, well you can but requires trans removal and break down, It is designed to not be serviced, Its by design, I agree they should be, ut they are not, The only thing that can help clean it is a reverse trans flush on a shop machine, A DIY? you can not service it, Here is a link showing the filter within the case