Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango Limited with the 5.7Hemi and a

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango Limited with the 5.7Hemi and a similar issue with the Svc AWD light on steady... Wife was driving is and it died, started it parked it let it stand for a couple hours, started it and drove home... I just looked at the fluid levels to make sure Trans was ok, it was low so I added ATF+4. Svc AWD still illuminated. had the right front indicator act up occasionally but not sure if that is related.
I reside in the middle east and not sure of the good shops... dealer is a no go.
Thoughts?
Mahalo
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The service awd message is to alert to you a fault has been detected with one of the awd components.This can be an actuator on the transfer case at fault or a sensor on the transfer case as these are most common for this message and fault here.

The first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.It is very possible this is a sensor sending an incorrect speed signal that may be causing the stall out here.

If you can obtain a scan tool to plug into your vehicle to check the codes this will help diagnose and locate the fault.This does need done first here to help pinpoint the cause for repair.Unfortunately there is no other procedure or way to check the codes.This does need done with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete