Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a AM General M35 with a Cat3116 and allison

Customer Question

Hi I have a AM General M35 with a Cat3116 and allison transmission. I bought it friday night and drove it home which was about 65 miles on the highway. It took quite a bit of throttle. to get from 3rd to high gear. once it was there it ran fine on the highway. When I exited and came to a stop the truck shuddered and it died. I restarted it and it shifted 123 just fine again high gear shuddered but once in it was good. Today I started it up an left the house for a drive. I went about a half a mile and it was in 3rd gaining speed and smoke came out of the hood. I pulled over to stop and it died again. When I restarted it it will only backup. No forward gears. Also it backs up in Reverse and neutral. When I go from reverse to drive quickly the truck sorta bounces back and forth like its been put in park suddenly. Also the truck doesn't have a park feature. Just RND123 Please help. Thanks, Steve
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is***** will be glad to help. It sounds like the transmission has failed and is in need of overhaul or replacement. To confirm check the oil for burnt/discolored oil and burnt smell. Also check the transmission filter and drain oil for signs of metal/debris indicating an internal failure. Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll check tomorrow.

Sounds good. Let me know. Pleasure to help

Hi Steve, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No it's not resolved. After quite a bit of online searching I found several threads that point to Allison transmission problems like the one I described to you. Most people were able to repair it with a pressure switch. I haven't tried it yet but I read through an answer given by a tech with material referenced from all data. I explained that it shifted fine moments before I pulled over to check out some smoke under the hood. After restart it would only go into reverse. Apparently Allison transmissions use 1st and 4th to achieve reverse, or so I read. I'm not an expert that's why I connected with you to begin with. I gotta go now. Thanks, ***** ***** you posted

Thanks for the update. If you can get me the Allison transmission model from the transmission ID tag I can help you with more in depth troubleshooting.

I have experience rebuilding Allison and ZF transmissions and also likely have the pressure and test specs if I knew your model. Let me know