Scott W
Scott W, Technician
Experience:  I am trained Ford transmission tech, and have 28 years in the field.
26022388

I sent question already about slipping transmission

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Hello my nameis Scott, can you tell me about the slipping, what happens, what model and year?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi its a 2005 ford f150 lariat it has the 5.4 motor. When I reach about 40 mph its start slipping bad and the rpms jump up like crazy so I turn Overdrive off and its fine but it just runs at a higher rpm and I won't drive over 60 mph on freeway because I do not want to drive at 3000 rpm steady. I can't imagine my tranny is shot but it seems I can't drive with overdrive on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Helloooooo
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Ok I see, some things we see when this happens is the overdrive band gets burnt, or the OD servo clip will break and fall into the valve body and jam a valve. Is the fluid full and not burnt smelling? Are you repairing this yourself? Have you checked for trouble codes?

Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Are you there??

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No check engine light on the fluid doesn't smell burnt I will need to repair myself due to price at shops . I've researched parts on eBay servo clips OD band etc.... Does not seem to expensive but how intense is the labor? Do I drop complete tranny?
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

If it is just the clip you can remove the valve body, retrieve the broken pieces, install a new clip and re engage the band with the servo, this must be done since removal of the servo will disengage the band.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hold
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Hold what?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is this just a few parts laying up under truck or a drop and rebuild kit? It has to be overdrive problem if its working and driving with overdrive off RIGHT?
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Yes a overdrive problem. Any thing that runs the overdrive can be the cause, band, gears, hydraulic, ect, dropping the pan and valve body to inspect the clip is the first step, if its ok, than the transmission needs to come out and be overhauled.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
band or clip easy fix? anything beyond that new or rebuild?
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

The clip is the easiest fix if it is broken. If its not, then replacement or overhaul would be next.

Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What's ur take on these pics
Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

The super servo don't know much about it since we only use OEM parts, but the kit for 200 dollars is real cheap.

Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

You couldn't even come close to touching Ford parts for 200 dollars.

Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

Does this answer all your questions?

Expert:  Scott W replied 8 months ago.

When you are finished with this question please rate my service to you, this is how we are paid, we aren't employees, and the website will keep your deposit, thank you.