Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

98 Ford expedition will not shift into 3rd 4th or overdrive,

Customer Question

98 Ford expedition will not shift into 3rd 4th or overdrive, 1st 2nd and reverse shift smoothly
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a 4x4 I drove through some water going to the river on a dirt road and that's when it started
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Any warning lights on or flashing?
  2. Is your trans pan square with both rear corners angled off or is it rectangle with one rear corner square removed.
  3. Does it attempt to shift into 3rd acting like neutral?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No lights on and it's not showing a code, one rear corner is removed. It will act like it is thinking about shifting into 3rd but doesn't go all the way in and goes back to second, I changed the fluid and all and it's still the same.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On the rear corner one is removed
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also tried taking the battery cable off for about an hour to try to reset the pcm

Thanks, ***** ***** a E4OD/4R100 transmission. Possible causes are going to be the transmission range sensor on the drivers side if the transmission is bad or the shift linkage is out of alignment. For internal possible causes, and faulty direct clutch is the most likely. Can you do the tests below to check the linkage and TR sensor.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris