sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

I have a 2001 chef express 3500 van with a 8.1 lt. motor and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chef express 3500 van with a 8.1 lt. motor and auto trans. The transmission shift cable broke and GM says they are not available any more. The part # ***** Nobody seems to know if there is another cable I can use. Was looking at the diesel engine cable #15772247 and was wondering if that would work. Has the same transmission 4L80. Do not know what is so special about this cable.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.

Hello, the one at the link below will cross and work.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That part is for the 5.7 lt. Is there any difference in the length? I think the bigger motor my be longer.

I apologize, I thoguht you were running the 5.7 Let me open this back up to other experts in case someone has run into a fix for this.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Unfortunately my parts catalog doesn't have a part number for this cable and I'm unable to double check the part number and applications.

Have you seen this? It shows that the cable will fit 5.7, 6.5 and 8.1 and fit is guaranteed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That # ***** ***** a 4.3 lt. motor and a 460LE trans. Good for only 1500 series vans. I can tell by the pic it is too short. My old cable is 6.5 feet long. My trans is a 480LE, no way that will fit. I think I'am going to try a 15772247 for a 6.5 diesel it looks like it may be long enough. To bad they don't give you any demensions on there parts. You buy it you own it.

In the meantime I'll continue searching.