sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I'd like to ask audi doc about transmission temps while

Customer Question

I'd like to ask audi doc about transmission temps while driving
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Need to know about running temps
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hooking up VAGCOM and monitoring temp while driving
JA: Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Transmission temperature will usually run slightly cooler than coolant temperature, but it depends on ambient temperature, driving style and conditions, and vehicle loading.

What is the actual issue you're trying to diagnose?

What year and model is the vehicle?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Audi a6 3.0 2002 v6... trying to find out what it should be running at... I have a diagnostic tool that connects to the vehicle cpu and reads temperature and it fluctuates a lot... seen it at 68 Celsius all the way to 160 C... so I'm not sure if it is the scanner or the sensor is bad... but the trans oil pan is never too hot to touch after it reads at 160C.... just trying to figure where it runs so I can hit the pan with an infrared thermometer and get to the bottom of it... no codes are thrown and just changed the radiator which has oil coolant lines to it... so I'm wondering if fluid is low and trans should be serviced

Trans temp will usually be slightly less than coolant temperature at normal operating temperature (20-30 minutes of driving). If you're seeing it as high as 160 C you either have a temperature sensor/wiring issue or the trans is overheating severely, if the pan temperature doesn't reflect that then you either have a scan tool issue or the temperature signal is inaccurate. I question whether the scan tool is accurate if you aren't setting any codes and it isn't going into an overheat shift schedule.