Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

My transmission, I believe. Well, its an automatic 2007

Customer Question

My transmission, I believe.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well, its an automatic 2007 Dodge Charger R/T with a HEMI. I just had the key housing between the front seats. My car wouldn't crank up in park, I had to crank it up in neutral. Now, it won't won't do anything at all.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't know a whole lot about cars. I never put transmission fluid in it because I didn't see where to check it or add fluid. I just found out the hard way that it is under the engine cover.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: All I know is the transmission is probably in need of service; my car won't even start but the electricity is circulating.
JA: Our top Dodge Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Dodge Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Dodge Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is my transmission destroyed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The shifter won't go into "park" as opposed to yesterday when it simply would not engage as such and I had to use the emergency brake to keep the car stationary. Would I hear a big CRACK if the transmission is destroyed? I haven't heard one and I hope it isn't destroyed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there, Sir? :-)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm having trouble navigating through the web site.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds more like the transmission shifter cable is at fault here or the shifter itself.I have seen these fail before and cause this issue needing replaced which is far cheaper to have looked into and replaced.This will keep the shifter from shifting properly as well as the no start as the transmission position/range sensor will not send the correct signals to the computer to allow the engine to start.This needs checked over to see which of these two components need replaced.

Replacement cost will vary depending on what is at fault anywhere from $200 to over $600 in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What's wrecking my nerves is not knowing if the entire transmission is kapoot. I never COULD find the transmission fluid reservoir to put fluid in it. I know this sounds really stupid but I've never put transmission fluid in my car, I only change my oil. Would I have MORE SERIOUS symptoms if the transmission is trashed?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Usually if the transmission itself was the cause here what would occur is you would have had transmission noises or mechanical noises from under the vehicle or under the hood or the transmission would have been slipping when the vehicle did drive last.I dont think you have any major transmission issues here and if you havent had any fluid leaking onto the ground most likely the transmission is o.k. on fluid.

To check the fluid level on this model here there is a special tool Tool number 9336 that a dealer and shop uses to check your fluid as your model does not come equipped with a dipstick on this model here.

It is best to replace the transmission fluid around 30,000 to 50,000 miles to keep the fluid fresh.This has to be done by a repair facility that uses the special dip stick tool to check the fluid level when this is done as well as their scan tool to observe transmission fluid temperature.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete