Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4. Start truck it is in 4wd push 2wd

Customer Question

1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4 . Start truck it is in 4wd push 2wd button but won't change . Hit auto 4wd then 2wd it flashes then all lights go out on 4wd switch. Truck drives like its not in 4wd. Shut truck off and restart back in 4wd. ??????
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common component to fail on this model here and cause this issue is the 4wd switch itself on the dash>GM had even released a bulletin on the newer body style 1999 (not the classic body style that ran from around 1995 to 1999) to replace this switch if there is a code B2725 set in the transfer case computer.I have seen the encoder motor fail as well on the transfer case and cause this here needing replaced but most of the time it is the switch itself needing replaced.

You will need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set but this needs done using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and correct this issue.If there is a code of B2725 set in the transfer case computer the switch needs replaced on the dash,the push button switch.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete