sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Matt, I have a 2004 ford explorer when slowing down and the

Customer Question

Hi Matt, I have a 2004 ford explorer when slowing down and the vechilce shifts into low there is a hard knock in the front dif or trans. My mechanic has not been able to figure out the problem. They took out the front drive shaftand that solved the problem but now I only have***** ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Everything else works fine just the hard know up front and only slowing down generally happens if between 15 and 10 miles an hour.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Greg replied 8 months ago.

Hi .

After removing the front drive shaft the knock is now gone ?

Any warning lights ON when the engine is running .

Greg

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no knock when down shifting into low. No no warning lights are on. The 4X4 light flash on and off at times.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does anyone have an answer to this problem with hard down shifting on my 2004 Ford explorer
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Unless the vehicle is all wheel drive or you were driving in four wheel drive then removing the driveshaft shouldn't have any effect on the noise. Otherwise I would suspect an issue in the differential, CV shafts, or differential mounting.

Is it a singular knock that happens only at the shift point?

Is there any noise from the differential while driving in four wheel drive?

Is it an all wheel drive vehicle or do you have a position for two and four wheel drive?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi sprinklesIs it a singular knock that happens only at the shift point? It is a singular knock that happens only when down shifting into low gear when the vehicle is slowing down. Generally happens when the vehicle slows to 10 miles an hour or less. It does not happen at any other times.Is there any noise from the differential while driving in four wheel drive? There was no noise from the differential when in four wheel drive. I did have the rear differential rebuilt last year because it was making all kinds of noise. Prior to that the knocking in the front only happened occasionally not all the time. After the rear was rebuilt no diff noise in the back and no diff noise in the front just the knockIs it an all-wheel drive vehicle or do you have a position for two and four wheel drive? There are no position switches on the hubs. I have three buttons on the dash, auto 4 x4, high 4x4 and low 4x4
FYI, I work for the US Gov and am posted in Ethiopia at the US Embassy. One of the embassy mechanics went to ford training in the US because the Embassy owns several Ford vehicles, but he has not been able to figure it out. He suggested we try rebuilding the front diff but since there is no noise other than the singular knock on down shift I thought I’d try and get another opinion. We bought this vehicle used from a friend in the US in 2008 and had it shipped here. It has been regularly serviced, besides regular servicing; the rear diff was rebuilt, both front and back wheel bearings have been replace and the from ball joints have been replaced. Also I got a tank of gas mixed 50/50 with kerosene when on a trip out in the rural part of the country it fried the fuel system, need a new fuel pump, injectors filter etc, but that was long before this problem started and I can’t imagine they would be related.Thanks for sharing your expertise. Keith

Was there any vibration with the shaft in, especially in four wheel drive?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No not that I recall. The shaft has been out for 5 or 6 months, but I have needed 4 x 4 a couple of times recently so I decided I better make getting it fixed a priority.

Was a scan tool used to verify four wheel drive state when the problem was happening?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll have to check with the embassy mechanic tomorrow at work.

Ok.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I talked with the mechanics today. There seems to be a bit of confusion probably from language differences. Today I was told a scan tool was used to diagnose problems. As they recall there were issues with the***** That resulted in them telling me I needed to order a rebuild kit so they could open up the differential and see what was wrong. By that they meant once they opened it up I can not drive it until I get replacement parts. US replacement parts are not available in Ethiopia. I need to order them and it takes about 3 weeks to get here. They also said they could re scan and get probably get the codes. Hope that makes sense. Keith

I don't really expect any fault codes but I'd like to know what mode the transfer case is in when it happens. Unless it's coupled to the front differential then removing the driveshaft shouldn't have changed anything.