Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. repairing vehicles. Factory trained Nissan and Subaru Technician.
2921078

2002 focus 2.0 i was driving my car its a stick shift and it

Customer Question

2002 focus 2.0 i was driving my car its a stick shift and it just cut off on me and there is no spark. tried starting it back up but it would not start. checked all fuses they were good. did a pen point test with the wiring diagram. checked voltage at the igntion switch and at the red wire we had 12.0v and at the GRY\ BLK wire we didnt have anything what do we do next?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

You have to test the grey/black wire with the switch in the start position. If the engine is cranking then the wire is getting power. This wire feeds the starter relay.

If you aren't getting power on that wire when you have the ignition switch in the start position then you need to replace the switch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we are getting power on that wire 11.5volts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok,

If you have power there and the car is turning over and you don't have any spark, check the timing belt. Sometimes you can pull the oil fill cap and have someone crank the engine. If the cams don't turn then you know the belt is the problem.

If they do, then you should get a code reader and check for a cam or crank sensor code. If either fails, then you will lose spark as well. It's also possible the timing jumped, so a compression test would be in order.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we do not have spark at the *(1) spark plug
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we have a code po320 i will clear and recheck
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

P0320 is a code for the engine speed,it is sent to the computer by the crank position sensor. If the crank sensor is bad then the engine won't have any spark. I would check the wiring harness for any signs of damage and replace the crank sensor.

This should resolve the problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we cleared the code and it keeps coming back po320
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

I would change the crank sensor.

It's located on the front of the engine, driver side where the transmission and engine meet.

Please see the diagram I am sending.

If the timing belt was bad there would likely be a code for the cam sensor.

Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what volts reading should be at the crank sensor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 volts DC.

It's not a specific voltage. When measuring this type of sensor you usually look at the wave pattern. If you have a scan tool you should be able to watch the engine speed on it. If there isn't any then the sensor isn't putting out any.

You could also check the sensor with a volt meter by doing a resistance check on it to make sure it's not bad internally, which it likely is in my opinion

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
going to the parts store to get new one now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we installed new sensor still no start and no spark
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
you there
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Is the car still putting out the same code?

Also, is the check engine light going out when you crank the engine

Please verify the cams are actually turning while cranking as well.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do not close out we will get back on this car next week thanks for your help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, think we are in different time zones, sorry for leaving you hanging last night.

This won't close out, even after rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
good evening to you thanks for your help again we last stop at checking volts at the crank sensor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we installed a new one it did not change any thing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we unplug the coil check volts at the plug (with it unplug )we have 12.0 volts at the blue /green wire no volts reading on the other two
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
with it plug in they all have 12.0volts at the plug
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you there
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

do you still need help????

Roy

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, give me a moment to get caught up here.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Is this a dual overhead cam or single overhead cam engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we are checking volts at ecm
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Thought you were checking the coil? Also, which engine please so I can pull up the wiring diagram

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we are we check the volts at the coil we have voltage on all three wires at the coil we have check the voltage at the e c m we have voltage with the key on at pin # ***** no voltage at pin # *****
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, and I want to help you resolve this, but I need to know if the engine is a single or DOHC engine to look up the correct wiring diagram. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we made a mistake we do have voltage on both pins this is DOHC
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

So sorry, lost my internet.

You should be able to take a test light, with the coil plugged in and the test light connected to the positive side of the battery check to see if the coil is getting any signal.

The black/green wire should make the test light flash as you crank the engine. Please try this and let me know.