Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................
Experience:  .................
14892859

I have a 2001 Mazda -4000 which I'm told was built by Ford.

Customer Question

My name is***** have a 2001 Mazda B-4000 which I'm told was built by Ford. Getting into third gear has been sticky lately. It sounds like it's grinding but if I push the clutch all the way down, it will catch. Does the transmission or clutch need some work? The other gears are fine, so far.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It happens mainly after I get on the road in the morning going to work, so I suppose when the engines cold. During the day as I'm traveling, it still grinds a little but not as much. It has a "sweet spot" where it's easiest to push the gear changer up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Trans_ Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your assessment. This does indeed sound like a clutch replacement is due. One question, though....do you have any extra floor mats on the driver side that is impeding the travel of the clutch pedal?? Some mats will hold the pedal from fully disengaging the clutch. Remove the mat (or mats) and see if the condition improves. If not, I would recommend a clutch replacement.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.