sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Can't get my 1998 vw beetle in reverse. When I think it's in

Customer Question

can't get my 1998 vw beetle in reverse. When I think it's in reverse it's really in 1st. Is this a linkage problem or transmission problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Unless there is some other issue, like for example, the trans jumps out gear, it is most likely a linkage/gate problem.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.

Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I providedhelped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now.If it didn't, please reply.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I figured it was a linkage problem. I wanted to know how to fix it.

Please don't get upset, but since we never know what's on our customers mind when they post their requests, we respond to what's posted hoping to establish a conversation that will lead us to know what the customer really needs from us. In this case you chose not to reply to my first response, which left me in the dark.
I'm sorry I did not realize you wanted repair instructions then; do you still need those? Is there anything I can do to help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
never mind

Thank you for visiting our site.

Best Regards.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

How the problem will be repaired depends on what is wrong, and until it is diagnosed there isn't a way to know what repair will be necessary.

Have you actually verified there is a linkage issue, and if so, what exactly is the issue?