Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I keep losing fuel pressure and it kicks in and out of gear

Customer Question

i keep losing fuel pressure and it kicks in and out of gear the overdrive light blinks on and off then it straightens out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it takes twenty mins to crank in the mornin when you crank it black smoke and no power then od light kicks on and off and idles fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yeah
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive changed all intake gaskets the fuel pressure valve the egr theelectronic vacuum
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: it runs good at times then just acts like it loses power
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $23 after the Ford Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  John Vieira replied 9 months ago.

I will try to help you tonight. First of all, I need to know what the make and model of your Ford is, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1995 Ford explorer

Sounds like something intermittent. If there's something floating around in the tank, plugs the fuel suction line up, then you can lose power. Suggest checking the tank, making sure it is free from clogs. That could be making the fuel pressure drop.