Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience
29331485

I have a 2008 Chevy HHR 2.2 manual transmission. My clutch

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chevy HHR 2.2 manual transmission. My clutch pedal continually goes soft. It's as if it fails intermittently. There is no sign of external leaking at the master cylinder or slave cylinder. I have taken it to a shop and they have replaced the master cylinder 3 or 4 times. It works for about a week and then it fails again. It will work fine for a few days, begin to fail intermittently, and then fail altogether. Does this sound like a slave cylinder? Could it be a pressure or clutch plate?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.

When the pedal fails and goes to the floor do you have to refill with fluid or just bleed the system to get it to work again.

Greg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Neither, what I mean by intermittent is that pedal will go almost all the way to floor but still allows for shifting gears, after a little bit of time it corrects itself and returns to normal position. When this begins though, I know it's only a matter of time before it gives out completely. The first time I took it in, they replaced the master cylinder and they had pressure immediately. In subsequent failures they tried several different bleed procedures several different times and they said they did not see any air bubbles or contaminants. It acts like there is air in the hydraulics, but when bled, there was nothing. Then they would replace it again and get pressure again. Sorry, I know that's not a great answer, but absolutely what has been happening.
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.

Thank you .

Sounds like master cylinder this is why they have tried another , so rules idea this out .

But i think on your car you have a centric type slave cylinder which can fail internally

check between the engine and transmission bell housing for brake fluid leak could be very slow and only have a small amount dripping from between the engine and trans .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Even if you did not see evidence of leaking, would that be your next move? checking the slave?
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.

Yes most surly would be the next step .

But check the tubing first for signs of damage .

The trans has to come out for this issue .

Greg