sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 1997 Mazda 626 LX and when you drive it along

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mazda 626 LX and when you drive it along distance or when it gets hot it acts like the transmission quits pulling and you can only go about 40 mph. I have had transmission checked and its fine. Ive had the catalitec converter checked its fine. What can it be. You can drive it short distance and it doesn't do it. HELP
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the transmission isn't pulling then the problem has to be internal in the trans, but I'm not sure that's actually what you're feeling if it will still go 40 MPH.

Is it a lack of engine power?

Does the trans get stuck in a lower gear leaving cruise RPM's high?

Have you checked for fault codes in the engine and trans controllers?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There were no codes when he checked transmission. It feels like the engine looses power which makes it feel like the transmission is slipping. I am not sure. I guess it could feel like the trans get stuck in lower gear but it has been checked twice and the transmission specialist could not find a problem with it.

If the transmission was slipping you would have normal power and the tach would climb high without the car accelerating. Is that what you're feeling?

When the problem happens and you take off from a stop does the transmission shift or stay in a single gear?