sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I live in Volcan, Panama and my 2003 2.9L Terracan is stuck

Customer Question

My name is Bill ***** *****, I live in Volcan, Panama and my 2003 2.9L Terracan is stuck in 4W Low. I have tried putting it in neutral, driving in reverse, revving the engine, parking it for an hour and nothing works.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just had my car washed and the guy rotated the knob when he cleaned it. I have had the problem before and the steps I indicated in my 1st post and it seemed to work, now it isn't.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Hyundai Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car sat overnight, still in 4WD Low. With the engine idling, I put the selector in 4WD High, let it run for 45 seconds, 2WD High for 45 seconds. Still in 4WD Low.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There may be an issue in the transfer case but it may just be a matter of using the correct procedure to shit out of four low.

With the vehicle rolling in drive and off the brake, turn the switch to two wheel drive or four high.

Without touching the brake put the transmission shifter into neutral.

As it passes through 2-3 MPH it should shift out of four low, you can then move the transmission shifter back to drive.