AMEDEE
AMEDEE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE TECH WITH ADVANCED LEVEL CERTIFICATION/L1 CERTIFICATION
279429

Here...troubleshooting a starting issue with a 2005 Escape

Customer Question

here...troubleshooting a starting issue with a 2005 Escape manual tranny. Put new fuel pump in and it started for 20 sec, now won't start again. Don't here the pump running when key is turned on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: New purchase with 116,000 miles on it. Ran very well for 2 wks and then intermittent starting, cranks ok, but won't start. Last time before towing home, I was able to get it to run but with minimal performance.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
VIN = FMYU92ZX5KA80177
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
l-4 ENGINE TYPE
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok...just removed the neg bat terminal and went out and cleaned a neg terminal on the firewall. Reconnected the neg terminal, and there was a small spark when I connected the neg terminal, tried to start and the motor fired once but did not start. Oh also reset the devise on the passenger side, an impact switch? That is where I am now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh I know the FP relay is ok...tested it according to instructions.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine start and run on starting fluid?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Are there any codes in the computer?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Also, can you double check the VIN for me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only a P1000 on power train and Vin =1fmyu92zx5ka80177 have no tried Startin fuid. Don't think the fuel dump is running
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No message on dash.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Ok, does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check? Do you know if the engine has spark while cranking?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Have you checked power to the fuel pump or the fuel pump driver module? What about the inertia switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ECK bulb ok...gonna check spark next. Bu I think it is good.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did a reset on I switch gonna chk power to pump fuel now.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well got spark, but I do not here the fuel pump running, gonna check the power to pump but for another day. Thank you.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good! I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi...2005 Escape back again. Bruce here, well the fuel pump has run once this week and the motor sounded good. Turn it off and no fuel pump sound and no start. Any thoughts? Gonna check the engine to frame ground today. I will keep looking. Bruce
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

And did you check for power to the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not yet. Trace the pump el. circuit from pump to origin. All the censors. And where is the engine to fame ground located? Tx
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know the connection is valid, however, not reliable, yet. Might be another sensor failure. Just think'n
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Yes it is very likely to be a sensor failure. Sensor module wiring issue connection issue or Anything else. That is why we need to check for power at the pump

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Have you checked for power to the fuel pump?

Let me know!