JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician ASE L1 Certified Technician
25345654

My 2007 Chevrolet Malibu will go in reverse but won't go

Customer Question

My 2007 Chevrolet Malibu will go in reverse but won't go forward when in the drive position
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My 2007 Chevrolet Malibu will go in reverse but won't go forward when in the drive position
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing don't know where to start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No that's basically it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  JFN1 replied 9 months ago.

No forward gears or motion at all, is that right?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  JFN1 replied 9 months ago.

The first thing is to check fluid level and condition. Your car may or may not have a transmission dipstick, depending on whether you have a 4cyl or 6cyl car (different transmissions). If you have a dipstick, start the engine and pull this dipstick out. Fluid should be full to the mark on the stick, and it should be red and transparent. If it's black and/or smells or looks burned, that's bad.

There is no electrical component or any other thing outside the transmission itself that can prevent forward movement. If you put the transmission in Drive, it should move, even if the electrical system fails. If you have reverse but no forward, you almost certainly have a transmission that has failed internally, and requires overhaul. Fluid condition check can verify this, or not. Burned fluid is dead giveaway, that means your clutches have burned away. Even if the fluid condition is good, the transmission probably still has a broken component inside. The only variable you can affect is fluid level, I would check to make sure it's full and has no leaks, but aside from that, you're going to need a transmission mechanic.