Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Customer Question

Hi Chris my name is ***** *****. I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that won't shift into Park I can manually from under the hood put the transmission into park, but from the lever it will not go into park.....Under the hood all bolts seem very tight
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: THe shift lever is in the park position even though it doesn't put the transmission into park
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can shift the linkage on the transmission into park and it holds in park but the shifter lever does not put the transmission in park this can indicate a fault with the shifter cable itself in most all cases that connects from the shifter lever to the transmission.I have seen this cable fail several times in the past before needing replaced for this issue here.

The cable corroded or breaks and sometimes stretches internally causing this issue.I would have this checked further to verify this is the cause and replaced as needed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete