Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

What would cause the D light on the shifting colom to blink?

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The D light blinking indicates that the computer has detected a fault with one of the transmission components on your vehicle and is flashing this light to let you know of the fault.What has to be done from here is to have a scan tool fully compatible with your model plugged into your vehicle to check and read out the fault codes set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

I have seen shift solenoids in the valve body cause this light to blink needing replaced.The codes do need read out/checked first to then locate and repair this issue here.Theres a large number of codes that can set due to a large number of different issues and this is why they need read out.In some cases places like Auto Zone or another parts store might plug into your vehicle and check the codes free of charge.If you can get them read out and post the code number and info here this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete