Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 1998 F150 4.6L with that we installed a rebuilt

Customer Question

I have a 1998 F150 4.6L with that we installed a rebuilt transmission on. After insuring the fluid level was correct we took the truck on a 20 mile test drive. At no time did we try any full throttle starts or attempt to get the transmission to kick down during the test drive. The test drive went as expected and the transmission seemed to be in working order. After the test drive it was checked for leaks and we rechecked the fluid level. The next day 1st to second shifts were way delayed about 2400rpms at slight throttle. Check fluid level and for leaks, all good. Next while in fourth gear overdrive the transmission kicked down rpms to 7000 with no engagement till rpms came down to approx. 2000. The transmission doe this consistently now. Appreciate any help or info we can get on this issue. Thanks!
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you check the voltage at the tps??? it has a big influence in controlling the transmission.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
TPS was replaced after fault, but voltages were not checked on new TPS
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

I would check that first

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I guess I should explain the first Transmission lost 3rd and 4th gear. Any relation to what the new transmission is doing?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

what diagnostics did you use to determine trans failure??? was there any codes???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will get back with you Monday with the codes. This truck is currently at a transmission shop, but we are not getting any specifics, just that they think it is mechanical. The codes they pulled they think is a mechanical issue. The transmission builder believes it a solenoid. Also the company is stating that they will not warranty any parts that can be replaced while the transmission is in the vehicle. Looking for a second opinion on what could be going on.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

there is no codes for mechanical issues. codes are only set for electrical controls.

lets start with the codes

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out