Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Where is the shift solenoid located? will you send me the

Customer Question

where is the shift solenoid located? will you send me the procedure for replacing it? thank you
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 9 months ago.

Hi the shift solenoid is located in the valve body which is inside the transmission pan first you need to know which one or if your replacing all of them you remove the pan then the filter, unbolt the solenoid and pull it out put new in and re install pan the trans in y ou r explorer has s special fill procedure requiring thr use of a special tool but u can make one out of a garden sprayer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I went to the autoparts store and asked for a shift solenoid for the explorer and they sold me one. Is there more than one? If so how maNY ANd if more than one are they interchangeable? It appears to be a straight forward procedure. I will replace the valve b gaskets also. Any tricks I should know about?

Good morning let me get u some info

okay you got two shift solenoids and then you have the torque converter clutch solenoid, a wiring harness filter and pan gasket. And no there is nothing you should be concerned about drop the pan remove the filter and you will see the solenoids right there, get you a couple cans of brake cleaner and spray the valve body down real good wash it out with brake cleaner before you remove the solenoids and again after. be sure and lube the o rings on the solenoids inspect all the wiring and connectors and your good

Hello have you started this yet