Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder
Experience:  I have rebuilt various transmissions from Ford and GM and some imports.
29534642

Check transmission light on, it just came on "check

Customer Question

check transmission light on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it just came on "check transmission" and i am going on a long drive tomorrow night
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i knows what this means yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: not at themoment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. First, what year and make is your Honda? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
07 touring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
07 honda odyssey touring
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, The "check transmission" light comes on whenever there is a code stored for the transmission control system. If you haven't noticed the transmission slipping any, and the shifts are solid and the shift points are where they are normally and strong and not slipping on the shift, then likely everything is alright, It could be just a speed sensor code, or a Gear position fault, a lot of times the contacts in the gear position switch will overtime become dirty somewhat, so raking the gear stick back and forth from P to L about 10 times, can clean the contacts on the gear position switch.

What I would suggest if you have to drive it a good distance tomorrow is this, Stop by a local chain auto parts store, such as Advance Oreilly or Auto Zone, Ask them to borrow their scanner, Take it out and hook it to the OBD II port in your vehicle under the drivers side dash area. Turn on the scanner and read the DTC's , you will get a PO and then likely 4 numbers after that, Such as PO1717 or PO735, something along those lines, If it's just a gear position or speed sensor fault, I would clear it, see if it comes back, Depending on what code is stored, that will give you an idea of what is at fault and whether it is something internal or external.

If it is driving normally, and the shifts are strong and not slipping, I would say it is fine to drive, but if you notice any slippage or banging hard into gear, I may suggest getting it looked at by an Aamco transmission shop or at least a local tranny shop with good reviews. Let me know if you have any further questions. I try hard to provide 5 star service so don't hesitate to ask me anything else if you need to. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here, we're you able to get the codes retrieved? Thank you.