Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

I have a 2000 honda accord. It shifts great and drives great

Customer Question

I have a 2000 honda accord. It shifts great and drives great but when I shift it in reverse it goes slow like someone is holding the breaks.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. This car has a history of transmission issues. Unfortunately reverse is the first gear to fail when this occurs. If you put it in gear and it appears to be binding or slipping and the engine revs and the car does not move then the transmission is failing. When this happens you can typically limp it along for a while before it affects the forward gears but it eventually will need to be rebuilt. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car moves. It goes about 10 feet then slows down.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the engine doesn't Rev up at all. It sounds like it does when driving forward

If it gets to the point where it just will not move then most of the time it has a fracture in the internal clutch housing. This causes this to happen.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is an automatic

Yes, and it has internal clutches that are in packs. Not like the clutch of a manual transmission.