Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

No drive, fl 1998, if car is up drive seams to work when

Customer Question

no drive
JA: What model and year is your transmissions?
Customer: fl 1998
JA: Nice car. The Transmission Mechanic can help you with your '98 transmissions. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: if car is jack up drive seams to work when under load drive has no power to pull off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if i could
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Are you ready to speak with the Transmission Mechanic now?
Customer: nothing yet jest change the filter
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Transmission Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the engine is revving up but the vehicle is not moving and the transmission fluid is at the proper level most likely this is an internal clutch fault as the clutches in the transmission can burn or fail and cause this here under load.The transmission would need to be inspected further internally to locate the damaged components then from there repair them to correct this fault here.

If the engine is bogging down when the engine is revved up with this issue here this can indicate a fault with the transmission torque converter itself as I have seen fail before needing replaced.

These are the most common causes for this type of fault here.

The transmission will have to be inspected/tested further to locate the source of the fault then from there repaired to correct this issue here.This may involve removing the transmission for further diagnosis and repair internally.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete