xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase
6149662

My 91 town car transmission throttle cable came loose from

Customer Question

My 91 town car transmission throttle cable came loose from the throttle body, wedged itself behind the throttle and almost killed me by making the car try to go up to 100mph or more. I stood on the brake, got on a side street and pulled it out. I read on the internet about a cruise control issue with similar problem, assumed it was the cruise control cable, and left it tied off from the throttle. I noticed I couldn't shift above 35mph, so I just drove slow to avoid the ruining the transmission.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry, I wasn't finished and I pressed enter or something. I recently read about the plastic bushing failure, found that was it, replaced it with the brass bushing, reconnected it to the throttle body, but it seems as though overdrive might be gone for good. Here is my question: Is it bad for the transmission to operate the car in the second "drive" position, which bypasses overdrive, or will this cause damage to the transmission. I did that the past two days, but didn't go above 55mph.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 9 months ago.

the damage is allready done. So it allready needs a rebuild depending on root cause of the failure will depend on how long it will last without fourth... From my experience its days are numbered