sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2003 mercury mountaineer 6cyl 4.0. I was driving this

Customer Question

2003 mercury mountaineer 6cyl 4.0. I was driving this morning and the truck would not shift out of gear. I was doing about 30-35 MPh. I noticed that the o/d light was blinking. I put the cat in neutral shut the engine off and then put it back in drive. The light stopped blinking and the transmission started to shift into the next gear. When it shifted it wasn't a hard shift but not a smooth one either.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your trans was in limp in. When the powertrain control module sees an issue that will prevent proper operation then it will lock you in a single gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in including solenoids, wiring, the range sensor, speed sensors, or internal trans issues. The problem is most likely electrical if you haven't noticed and slipping or abnormal noises from the trans.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set, and electrical testing will most likely need to be done from that point at the time the problem is happening.