Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

1998 ford ranger 3.0 V6 automatic transmission will not go

Customer Question

1998 ford ranger 3.0 V6 automatic transmission will not go into reverse or drive
when worm but goes into 2 and 1. Will go into drive if you put it in 2nd first .
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. When cold R and D and 2 and 1 work fine, it will upshift all the way to overdrive?
  2. When at operating temp the engine just revs in R and D and the vehicle will not move?
  3. When at operating temp you can use 1 and 2 then once moving shift to D and it will drive and shift up to overdrive?
  4. Once moving in D at operating temp, must you manually shift through the gears each time you stop?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1-yes
2-yes
3-yes
4-no stayes in drive

#4 so once you do this special procedure you can stop and go with no more issues until you shut it off?

Once at operating temp and you have gotten it to work in drive, is there anything you do that makes you need to manually shift again?

While driving are there any warning lights on or flashing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no warning lights .No other problems until you take it out of drive
Only if you take it out of gear

Thanks, ***** ***** you are going to find damaged valves and springs within your valve body causing this. Do you know how to remove and rebuild or replace a valve body?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no

Are you planning to let a trans shop do this for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is depending on price and as you know there probably going to say it is a complete rebuild.
Can the valve body be fixed without removing trans ?

Yes the valve body can be removed with the pan off and the transmission not removed. Worst case scenario at a shop, labor and parts to just replace the valve body 800$

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris