Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

I have a 1987 nissan pathfinder and it is a 5 speed. i can

Customer Question

i have a 1987 nissan pathfinder and it is a 5 speed. i can shift in to all gears. 4th gear wont engage. when you stick it in 4th gear it is like being in nutrual. what is the problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If in fact the transmission will shift into 4th gear and it acts like neutral then the problem is internal, you have either a bad 4th gear and or the shift fork is not moving it. The only way to know is going to require removal and a tear down and inspection.