Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Have a 2003 CTS with 42K miles that needed to have another

Customer Question

Have a 2003 CTS with 42K miles that needed to have another engine put in thanks to our son. Now I must wait 3-4 minutes to warm up before putting in gear and getting normal movement. If don't wait and try putting in gear and moving engine just races and get no movement or very little.
Mechanic says fluid level is OK and he doesn't think its the pump. Except for this problem car is in excellent condition.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I assume you may have meant a new transmission needed and not an engine.If I am wrong let me know.

If the fluid level is good in the transmission one way to check the pump operation is when this occurs with the engine off the fluid level on the transmission dipstick should be higher with the engine off then it is with the engine running.If the fluid level is the same height or very close with the engine off and on then the pump is usually the cause.

The other issue I have seen is a fault with the pressure control/regulating solenoid in the transmission valve body or the valve body itself.You may not need a complete new transmission here to correct this.There is a chance a clutch is burned or wore out needing replaced inside the automatic transmission but this can be replaced/repaired instead of a complete replacement.

I would have this checked into/tested further before having a complete one installed to see if it can be repaired.I suspect either the pump,pressure control solenoid,valve body or clutch failure internally but all of these can be repaired at a less cost then a replacement transmission,unless you go with a used transmission as this can be cheaper in some cases.

I can say however if the pump is the cause this can lead to several components in the transmission becoming damaged needing repaired or replaced and in this case it is cheaper to replace the entire transmission.If the transmission mechanic isnt able to diagnose this and wants to replace the entire transmission it would be a good idea to have another hands on diagnosis to be sure of what is causing this here as this could save you some money.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete