Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

It wont shift out and do have reverse only have low gear

Customer Question

it wont shift out and do have reverse only have low gear
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 99 chev tahoe
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I put it in drive and pull off and it doesn't shift out
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if its simple
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: everything I know what do u think off the top of your head
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you saying the transmission will not shift out of first gear?

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here?

Off the top of my head if it will not shift out of first gear the most common cause on this model here is the 1st to 2nd gear electronic shift solenoid at fault in the transmission valve body needing replaced.About $50 to $100 for the solenoid,5 quarts of atf and a new transmisison pan gasket as well as about 1.5 hours labor to have replaced.The other component is the transmission valve body itself needing replaced.This can sometimes cost up to $1000 for the valve body and about 2.5 hours labor to have replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete