Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My name is ***** ***** ,I have a 2002 xtype jaguar, the fear

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** ,I have a 2002 xtype jaguar, the fear fault light comes on and it goes into another gear where it goes very slow.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car can be running fine then when I stop at a light, and try to go it only goes about 5miles an hour.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This light coming on indicates one or more of the computers has detected a fault with one of the transmission components in most cases.What has to be done here since this light has come on is a scan tool needs plugged into your vehicle that is compatible with your vehicle to read out all fault codes in the vehicle.Once this is done any faults codes set will need to be diagnosed and repaired to correct this here.

Common faults are an issue with a shift solenoid or speed sensor in the transmission or an issue with the transmission valve body itself needing replaced.

The fault codes do need checked first then diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

In some cases you can get the fault codes read out free of charge from a local parts store like Auto Zone but they usually will not be able to fully diagnose the fault but can give you some ideas of what may be at fault needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I still didn't get a good answer on why the gear fault light is coming on and why the car goes into low gear.Besides take it to auto zone which I have already done.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Have you had the fault codes checked by them and if so what were or are the codes coming up as?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.