Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

The transmission won't go into reverse, but it goes into

Customer Question

The transmission won't go into reverse, but it goes into all forward gears, except reverse. What is the best way to fix this problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Also, I don't get online much on Sundays. Family and church tend to take up the majority of my day. If you'd prefer I can opt out and see if someone else will be more available today, otherwise I'll get going on this more in depth on with you on Monday.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's an automatic; how about we wait till tomorrow to figure out this problem. Thank you for taking the time to help us out.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Jared, just picking up on the conversation we started yesterday, but just a recap, it's a 2000 jetta tdi with an automatic transmission. The problem is that it wont go into reverse, however all other forward gears work. What is your take on this situation?
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

We need to figure out whether this is a mechanical problem inside the transmission or a problem with the control module.

Disconnect the transmission electrical connection. This will place the transmission in failsafe mode and reverse and 3rd gear should both be available via the manual valve. Make sure the transmission does not slip in either reverse or 3rd gear.

If operation is normal as described above with the transmission electrically disconnected there is likely a control problem, and the transmission control unit should be checked for fault codes.

If the transmission still does not engage gears or slips under failsafe conditions with the transmission and transmission control unit disconnected, check for proper fluid level and condition.

If fluid level and condition are OK, there is likely a mechanical or hydraulic problem in the transmission, and it will have to be repaired or rebuilt.