Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I HAVE A 2010 FOCUS SE 2.0 LITER THAT DOWN SHIFTS FROM GH

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2010 FOCUS SE 2.0 LITER THAT DOWN SHIFTS FROM HIGH GEAR AND THE CHECK ENGINE LITE STAYS ON EVEN AFTER I REPLACE THE SHIFT SOLENOID C WHICH MY COMPUTER TELLS ME PO760 IS THE PROBLEM, CAN YOU HELP ME ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: THE TRANSMISSION DOWN SHIFTS AFTER REACHING 45-50 MPH AND I LET UP SLOWLY OFF ACCELERATOR; I REPLACED SOLENOID C, AND ALSO WAS TOLD SOLENOID A WAS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH MY MODEL CAR. I DID BOTH THESE REPAIRS, AND IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

codes rarely identify bad parts just failed systems. I will attach a flow chart for you for this code so you understand the steps that need to be taken to determine the failure. it is a long lengthy process.

it is possible that the harness or tcm is bad.

Any time an electrical connector or solenoid body is disconnected, inspect the connector for terminal condition, corrosion and contamination. Also inspect the connector seal for damage. Clean, repair or install new as necessary.

Shift Solenoid Pre-Diagnosis

Use the shift Solenoid Operation Chart when carrying out Pinpoint Test A. Refer to specification.

Solenoid Operation Chart - Converter Disengaged

With an ON/OFF solenoid, OFF = No Hydraulic Flow.

With a PWM solenoid, OFF = Full Hydraulic Flow.

Solenoid Operation Chart - Converter Engaged

With a on/off solenoid, OFF = No Hydraulic Flow.

Pinpoint Tests

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Set 29, Transmission Controls for schematic and connector information. See: Diagrams\Electrical\Diagrams By Number

Pinpoint Tests

PINPOINT TEST A: SHIFT AND TCC SOLENOIDS (ONLY)

NOTE: Refer to the Transaxle Vehicle Harness Connector illustration within the Transaxle Connector Layouts See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Transaxle Connector Layouts procedure.

NOTE: Refer to the Transaxle Internal Harness Connectors illustration within the Transaxle Connector Layouts See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Transaxle Connector Layouts procedure.

NOTE: Read and record all DTCs.

-------------------------------------------------
A1 ELECTRONIC DIAGNOSTICS SET UP

• Make sure the transaxle harness connector is fully seated, the terminals are fully engaged in connector and are in good condition before proceeding.

• Connect the scan tool.

• Ignition ON.

• Access the shift solenoid PIDs.

• Is communication with the PCM established?

Yes
GO to A2 .

No
REPEAT procedure to access the shift solenoid and TCC solenoid PIDs. If the scan tool cannot establish communication with the PCM, REFER to Computers and Control Systems Information for diagnosis of the PCM.

A2 CHECK THE PCM

NOTE: Shift Solenoid C (SSC), Shift Solenoid D (SSD) and Shift Solenoid E (SSE) must be commanded greater than 90% duty cycle.

• Disconnect: Transaxle Vehicle Harness C199.

• Using the scan tool, select the following PIDs to be commanded:

• SSA#

• SSB#

• SSC#

• SSD#

• SSE#

• Using the scan tool, command the suspect solenoid(s) ON while measuring the voltage between transaxle harness C199 and ground using the following chart:

• Does the voltage change from below 10 volts to above 10 volts when commanded?

Yes
GO to A6.

No
GO to A3.

A3 CHECK FOR AN OPEN CIRCUIT

• Ignition OFF.

• Disconnect: PCM C175T.

• Visually inspect all wires, pins and connectors for damage.

• Measure the resistance of the suspect shift solenoid circuit between the PCM C175T and transaxle vehicle harness C199 using the following chart:

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes
GO to A4.

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) for an open. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

A4 CHECK FOR SHORTS TO GROUND

• Measure the resistance between transaxle vehicle harness, C199 and ground using the following chart:

• Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes
GO to A5.

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) for a short to ground. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

A5 CHECK FOR SHORT TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

• Ignition ON.

• Measure the voltage between transaxle vehicle harness, C199 and ground using the following chart:

• Is any voltage present?

Yes
REPAIR the circuit(s) for a short to power. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
INSTALL a new PCM. REFER to Computers and Control Systems.

A6 CHECK SOLENOID RESISTANCE

• Measure and record the resistance between transaxle vehicle harness C199, component side and a known good ground on the transaxle case using the following chart:

• Are the resistance values within specification?

Yes
REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Diagnosis By Symptom.

No
INSPECT and REPLACE the transaxle internal harness for an open or short to ground. If the harness is good, REPLACE the suspected solenoid. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

do you still need help