Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Have a question. I have a 2001 toyota 4 runner sr5. It

Customer Question

Have a question for ya. I have a 2001 toyota 4 runner sr5. It drives completely fine in 2wd with no problem. When I shifted to 4wd today it would not move. When I pressed the gas it revs up but doesn't move makes bad grinding noise. What could this be.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be a fault internal in the transfer case or front differential with a gear that is bound up due to failed bearings or gears that have broken or seized up.I have seen both cause this issue.

What will need to be done from here is the vehicle will need checked over further with the transfer case needing shifted manually from under the vehicle (with the vehicle lifted on a hoist or all four wheels off the ground and supported safely.Then check to see if the transfer case itself binds with the drive lines out with it shifted into 4wd.If it is found the drive line outputs turn easily then the fault is in the front differential.If they bind then the fault is in the transfer case.

From there which ever is found to be binding will need removed and taken apart for inspection and repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete