Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera with code p0890 and its stock in

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera with code p0890 and its stock in gear 3 I think it's limp mode replaced transmission thinking its internal problem but code still there and car still stock in gear 3
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The vehicle will go into third gear fail safe after codes P0885 sets.

This code can be set due to any of the following with the PCM being the most common.

• Automatic Transmission (A/T) Control Relay
  • Fuse
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Wiring

In order to determine if in fact the PCM has failed you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps to do so in the link below. Copy and paste the link your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trans%20Feb%2011.pdf
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 year ago.

After replacing the transmission on a Hyundai two things will need to be done with a dealer scan tool (GDS). The codes will need to be cleared first. Secondly a transmission adaptive value reset will need to be performed to let the PCM know that the new transmission does not have an issue. If this is not done, the new transmission can act exactly like the one that had the issue, even if there isn't an issue with the new transmission. This is something only the dealer can perform.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.