hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

I have a 2011 Ford Escape Limited with the 4 cylinder engine

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Ford Escape Limited with the 4 cylinder engine FWD. The transmission is pushing fluid out of the vent tube at times. The fluid looks good and does not smell burnt, the fluid level is correct (level checked while the trans. is hot), and the fluid temp. is only getting up to a max of 170 degrees f. The vehicle only has 65,000 miles but has been flat towed for an additional 15,000 miles. Any idea what might be going on? The trans is shifting out ok as well.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 10 months ago.

Hello, does the vehicle have a transmission pump installed for flat towing? No codes stored? Can you post the 17 digit vin number.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would that pump be a factory option inside the transmission? There does not appear to be any external pump. No codes. VIN# *****
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
According to Ford the 6F35 trans. in 2009-2011 Escape and Fusion is considered flat towable without the lube pump kit. I realize that it may not be a good idea but thats what Ford says. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One other bit of info, the 2012 Escape requires the lube pump so I looked at the build date to make sure this vehicle was not a late 2011. The build date is 03/11.
Expert:  hdgene replied 10 months ago.

No it is an add on accessory and there was a lot of debate on flat towing without one. If its blowing out the vent and it has been flat towed, there is most likely an internal issue inside the trans. When the vehicle is flat towed for periods of time without using a pump to allow fluid to flow and cool the trans down it can melt the plastic thrust washers and other parts inside. I have pulled main control side covers off with a trans shifting fine and blowing out fluid and had a mess of melted plastic inside which lead to trans replacemene

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the info. Thats what I was afraid of. I will recommend the pump be added on if they repair the trans and plan to continue towing.
Expert:  hdgene replied 10 months ago.

Very good, if you remove the side pan you can inspect for melted plastic which would definitely indicate the trans overheated.

Expert:  hdgene replied 10 months ago.

If I was help please leave a positive rating

Expert:  hdgene replied 10 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?