Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

2013 ram 3500 2wd dually 6.7 diesel auto trans. when towing,

Customer Question

2013 ram 3500 2wd dually 6.7 diesel auto trans. when towing, check engine light comes on and goes into limp mode. i can shut it off and start it back up and shifts fine but it will do it again. problem is intermittent. scanner brings up code p0871 and a engine code that says "intermittent power to pcm"
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes or at least give the dealership a head start because they can't seem to fix it.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced fuel filters thinking it was a fuel pressure problem under load and dealership updated ECM
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: I tow a trailer all day every day and it has 98,500 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Robert R replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you by chance know if the other code is a P2509?

Have you had the transmission looked at? The P0871 is a Transmission related code for Overdrive Pressure Switch Rationality. This can cause limp mode and the concern you are having. As for the "intermittent power to PCM" code, I suspect that one or both of the batteries are weak and need replacement.

Let me know if this code is the P2509 code and we can go from there...

keep me posted.

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will check shortly, thanks.

Also, let me know if you need the flow chart for the P0871 code, I can get that for you if needed...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Flow chart would be great, thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Intermittent power problem is solved. The trans was looked at by a dealership in november and they updated the pcm but that did not fix it. All the forums say to replace the valve body but that is in older model trucks. I have not read anything about my particular problen in the 2013 and up trucks.

Hello, Sorry for the delay... Been offline today.

What did you find with the Power issue?

Here is the flowchart for the P0871 code ---->> Click Here

I also found a Star Case related to this code, Have someone check the wiring carefully in the area highlighted in the following document ----->> Click Here

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert