RD
RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master 35 years
3087803

I have a 1978 450SL that just lost it's tranny. transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1978 450SL that just lost it's tranny.
transmission was fine except that it was slow to go into reverse. Shifted fiine in all forward gears. Smooth.
While sitting parked with the engine running, I heard a slight clunk. When it was time to leave, the car would not move when put in gear, neither forward nor rearward.
Got it to my friend's shop, put it up in the air. The linage is fine and is moving properly. The wheels will move in forward gear under power while up in the air, but rotate in the wrong direction when put in reverse.
So, guessing it needs a rebuild I have looked online and it seems doable with knowledgeable help. However, I cannot locate a manual for the 722.004 transmission, nor a rebuild kit. We'll also need advice as this goes along as while my friend has rebuilt a lot of automatic transmissions, this one is a new experience for him.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
switching to super bowl--you can answer later.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately due to the age of the car find an online repair Manuel is next to impossible and rather then leave you waiting nay longer I thought I would let you know. You are most likely going to need to contact your Mercedes dealer and see if hopefully they can come up with a Manuel for this older SL. Unfortunately this is not something we can provide here. Im sorry.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Marty can answer these questions. I've used Marty in the past.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

I will open the post up for you and if hes here he will post back. Thank you just the same.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  RD replied 10 months ago.

Hello

My name is Rudolph

I can set you up with a place to get the overhaul kit and the obsolete shop manual for your transmission.

Ill need the last 6 digits of your vin# ***** zip code.

Ill check for you and see if the kit is available and set you up with the supplyer

Thanks

RD