Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan and Infiniti Trained Expert
10181755

My reverse stopped working today. All other gears work fine.

Customer Question

My reverse stopped working today. All other gears work fine. Trans fluid is good.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year and Model Infiniti is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 infinity qx4 4wd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reverse is like neutral
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No problem in your forward gears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfectly , I noticed about a month ago that while in reverse it didn't want to disengage when I stopped. As if I were driving a standard transmission. But then It stopped doing that. I thought it may have been the cold. Today is unseasonably warm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, drives forward perfectly
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.. This is most likely a reverse clutch issue inside the trans. You have a forward clutch and a reverse clutch. So you can loose lets say forward movement but have reverse if the front clutch burns out, or vise versa. What you need to do to verify this is what they call a transmission pressure test. This would verify my thoughts on your issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be advantageous to repair just the reverse clutch as apposed to the whole transmission.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Not really. To do this the transmission needs to be removed and opened up to determine the extent of the damage. Which if you are going to go that far, you might as well rebuild it.

Or just get a used transmission and have that installed.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

either way, the transmission has to be removed. It's really up to you the direction you want to go with it. Either rebuild the transmission or have a used one installed.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please allow to do some research and if I find I have no further questions, I will rate and close the session.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can do that, or follow up questions are no extra charge after you rate me also. As long as it is on the same topic you can return and I will continue to help you

Thanks Jay